Friday, October 11, 2013

Interview with Author Ritu Lalit of Chakra: The Witch Way Chronicles

Ritu and I have known each other for over a year. I was her beta reader for Chakra: The Witch Way Chronicles and got to read the book before she sent it to her publisher. Her novel is fast-paced with diverse and memorable characters and introduces non-Indians, like myself, to the fascinating culture of India.


Me--Where did you get the idea for The Witch Way?

Ritu--India has a culture of goddess worship, which slowly got taken over by patriarchal beliefs. I am fascinated by goddesses and powerful women. Plus, I meditate a lot, even though I do not follow any formal religion. Spirituality, and the kundlaini is what works for me. So I wanted to write about that.

Me--Who are your favorite characters in your book and why?

Ritu--Mickey is my favorite. He is naughty, irrepressible, and has a knack for being at the wrong place at the right time. I like him.

Me--What themes does your book present?

Ritu--I wish I could say "Women Empowerment" but I am not writing for social causes. I have just penned down a story which is set in a fantasy setting, but has certain real elements like corrupt leaders, bad cops and dangers women face in South Asia.

Me--How many books do you have in this series?

Ritu--I plan to write two more...but only if the first one succeeds. I am already halfway through the second of the series.

Me--What makes you choose to write fantasy?

India has a rich heritage of fantasy tales. I love reading them. Sadly we do not have many fantasy writers currently. It is not a popular genre in India. I started writing what I want to read.

Ritu--What authors influence your writing?

Too many, but I would say Bradley Marion Zimmer, G.R.R. Martin, J.K. Rowling, Arthur C Clark and Isaac Asimov are my favorites.

Me--Why do you think fantasy books are so popular?

Ritu--They aren't not in India, even though Harry Potter is. Fantasy works me, because I like magic, and also because it is so richly imaginative a world that it gives me joy.

Me--How many books have you written?"

Ritu--I have three published books out in the market.

Me--Where do you see the fantasy book market 10 years from now?


Ritu--Unlike other genres that get dated, fantasy and science fiction do not get old. So well written fantasy and sci-fi will always endure.

Me--What makes The Witch Way different from other fantasy books?

Ritu--It uses the premise of Chakras or energy points in the body, which are closely linked to our endocrine glands, which, if used properly give the adept unlimited power to use the five elements.




BIO


Ritu Lalit is a Gold Medalist from the Guwahati University in B.A. English Literature (Hons) and has done her masters in English Literature from the University of Delhi. She has been writing since her teens, and has short stories published in CBSE textbooks and in various anthologies. She has three novels published, A Bowlful of Butterflies (Rupa&Co.) long-listed for the Crossword Book Awards, her second book, Hilawi (Popular Prakashan), a fantasy thriller is a national best seller, and her third, Chakra, Chronicles of The Witch Way has been released recently and is much acclaimed.



Excerpt


 

“Guruji, they are all gathering,” twelve-year-old Sumant, his cheeks covered with a fuzzy growth of beard, peered through the flap of the tent and informed the old man.  He was skinny and looked as though he had recently shot up in height, and his clothes had not kept up.
The man addressed as Guru, or Teacher, sighed and stood up, his old bones aching.  There was a time when he had considered the weather a non-issue.  It had just been a matter of mind over body.  But age had caught up, and he realized that even Japas could feel cold.  It was freezing in the desert; he peered out of the tent at the full moon.  He had read somewhere that the full moon in January was known as the Wolf Moon.  How apt, he thought as he stepped out, his aged joints creaking.  He felt a slight unease arising from his base chakra.  He inhaled deeply and said, “I smell danger.  This peace among them will not last the night, I know it.”
Sumant grasped his hand, “Then stay inside, Guruji; don’t conduct the homa.”
Guru Tapan smiled sadly and ruffled the young boy’s curly hair.  “You stay back, Sumant.  You have a young one to watch over.”
The boy looked reluctant.  “Sumant, if I do not come back, take Mickey and leave.”
“Where do we go to, Guruji?”
“Delhi… to Sulochana Mohan.  I have spoken to her.  She will watch over you.  Remember, the power is strong in you.  Keep doing your chakra exercises, and see to it that the little one does them too.  Promise me.”
“I promise, Guruji.”
Tapan Japa looked at the sand dunes around them.  The atmosphere was still as though brooding.  Something was going to happen tonight; he felt it in his bones, in his Kundalini.  “Go, Sumant; go hide in one of the cars with the child.  I will find you later.”


 
Find Ritu at her:
Blog
Website
Twitter
LinkedIn
Google+
Facebook

Email Address: Ritu.Lalit@gmail.com

Check out the book on AMAZON
 




 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Great interview and fantastic book cover. I love the excerpt and have added Chakra to my TBR list. Thank you for introducing me to Ritu Lalit!

    ReplyDelete