Friday, November 29, 2013

Interview with author K.C. Rivers, author of Prince of Light

 
 
 
 
Me: Where did you get the idea for your book?
 
K.C.: It was an inspiration born from many of my different major fandoms. I think one of the primary influences was actually after I watched the movie Hellboy II: The Golden Army. This surprises most people who ask me this question, because they tend to think that Lord of the Rings was my main inspiration, knowing how big a fan I am of that series. LotR certainly did inspire in many ways, but I adored Prince Nuada’s character in Hellboy II, and that was what made me start imagining the sort of alternate world I would want to visit. I began to contemplate who I would want to meet and who I would grow to love if I traveled to that world. The story and characters simply poured forth after that.
 
Me: Who are your favorite characters in your book and why?
 
K.C.: Honestly, I think Delanor is my favorite, which also might come as a surprise. Delanor is the young mage who befriends the main character, Evanthe, and he’s never had any sort of real friendship before meeting her. He was originally supposed to be just a “filler” character of no real importance. Basically, I needed someone to show Evanthe the ropes until the main storyline got going, but he ended up becoming a very intricate part of the plot, and I can’t imagine the story without him now.
 
My other favorite would be Faolan (pronounced “FAY-len”). He’s a half-dragon, half-man beast who has a personality that lies somewhere between human and animal. His little quirks and unwavering loyalty to Evanthe make him great fun to write. And honestly, who wouldn’t want that for a bodyguard/friend?
 
Me: What themes does your book present?
 
K.C.: Hmm. That’s a tough one. The most common theme in the story tends to lean towards not judging others by appearances, though that wasn’t actually planned. Evanthe is presented with many tough situations, and at times her ability to accept the creatures around her despite what she’s heard about them or how they look is what ends up saving her. Likewise, learning to see that a beautiful face doesn’t always mean a beautiful person is something that she discovers pretty quickly. She has to discover where her loyalty lies, because sometimes the people who want her to trust them the most are the ones who aren’t so trustworthy.
 
Me: How many books do you have in this series?
 
K.C.: I plan for it to be a trilogy, but the first book is the only one available at the moment. If I have a burst of inspiration, it might stretch to four books in total, but three is what I have planned for now.
 
Me: What makes you choose to write fantasy?
 
K.C.: Well, I’ve always been a bit of a geek, which means that I’ve always had a fascination for magical elements. I’ve loved fantasy ever since I was a kid. I grew up on My Little Pony, video games (mainly Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda), and classic Disney movies (Sleeping Beauty is still my all-time favorite). Consequently, I learned to love the animal sidekicks, magical abilities, and timeless tales of good versus evil. I’ve also always had a bit of an elf fetish, so it only made sense that I would write a story involving one.
Medieval fantasy is still my favorite, so it tends to be what I gravitate towards when I’m writing. I do like a broad diversity in general, but there's something about swords and magic that always holds the most appeal to me. Yes, it’s often romanticized with dashing knights and beautiful princesses, but I still love it. Not to mention I adore dragons and will use any excuse possible to include at least one in my storyline.
 
Me: What authors influence your writing?
 
K.C.: Like so many fantasy authors, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were some of the biggest influences on my writing. I read The Chronicles of Narnia many times and chose The Hobbit for one of my high school book reports. Some of my other favorite authors have included Rick Riordan, Michael Sullivan and Veronica Roth.
 
Rick Riordan has a fantastic sense of humor that is very apparent in his writing. While I haven’t read many books in his newer series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians remains one of my favorites. Michael Sullivan has a wonderful gift for classic medieval fantasy, and the Riryia Revelations series is simply amazing. He’s similar enough to Tolkien to make you appreciate his talent for world-building, yet his own stories are uniquely his own, as are his characters. Definitely one of my top recommended epic fantasy authors. Veronica Roth has a realistic, gritty quality to her books, and the edge-of-your-seat action in Divergent made me devour it in a matter of days. (I still need to read Allegiant. I’ve been sadly lacking in time for it, however.) Each one of these authors is so very unique, and they bring a different element and style to their works.
 
Me: Why do you think fantasy books are so popular?
 
K.C.: I think everyone likes to imagine the impossible, from superheroes to mythical creatures. How many of us have pictured what it would be like to have our own dragon? (I have!) Fantasy stories are unique in the sense that they transport us to places where nothing is what it seems, and anything can happen. There are no limitations of reality and no rules. Whatever the author’s imagination creates is the “normal” for that particular setting. I love having that sort of space to work with as a writer. My world is expressly mine. It’s a wonderful feeling.  
 
Me: How many books have you written?
 
K.C.: I’ve written several short stories, but Prince of Light was my first “official” finished book. I had another book that I had started many years ago, but in all honesty it wasn’t all that good. There are a few other “works in progress” at the moment, but right now I’m trying to concentrate all of my efforts into book two.
 
Me: Where do you see the fantasy book market 10 years from now?
 
K.C.: Trends seem to come and go, but I honestly hope the fantasy market won’t change too drastically in the near future. It’s impossible to predict, for certain. There might be different fads, like urban fantasy instead of medieval, that sort of thing, but I like to think that there will always be a call for great fantasy. For YA, I could see it waning a bit in the upcoming years. Contemporary seems to be growing in popularity, and there was quite a saturation of urban fantasy and dystopian for a while. The thing about fantasy is the enormous diversity available, which means that there’s always something new to explore. Hopefully that means that it will always be around.
 
As an author, I don’t really write for whatever is popular, and I think many other authors do the same. I write what I like. If someone else reads it and likes it, my day has been made. (I really am easy to please.)
 
Me: What makes your book different from other fantasy books?
 
K.C.: I know many authors say this, but it’s difficult to pinpoint. While my story features everything from dragons to mages to shape shifters to elves, I think it’s the relationships between the characters that makes it so unique. Most of the feedback that I’ve received has been in favor of the characters specifically. It makes me happy to know that they feel “fleshed out.” I already love them entirely, and it's thrilling to know that someone else out there loves them, too.
 
 
 
 
Author Bio: K.C. Rivers is a self-proclaimed geek with a particular fetish for elves, pirates, and winged creatures. She often finds inspiration for her writing from the scenic outdoors that her native Oregon has to offer. When she’s not playing the piano, writing, or reading, she can usually be found taking a long walk or enjoying a cup of coffee. She currently lives with her husband, two dogs and cat. Prince of Light is her first novel.
 
 
 
 
It's only on Amazon at the moment, but that will change in the future.  Both the e-book and the paperback are available.
 

 

 

Excerpt

 
There was darkness all around us, making it almost impossible to run through the forest. The moon was only half-full, and the tall, ancient trees didn’t allow any extra light. Branches slapped at my face, stinging my cheeks.
 
“Faster, Evanthe!” My mother was gasping for breath behind me. We ran harder, our legs burning with each step. The attack had been so sudden. I could hear voices shouting behind us and knew it had to be the men who had raided the village. Common thieves, seeking an easy victim. Though rumors had spread through the town of a new band of outlaws that were formerly mercenaries, no one had really believed them until now.
 
Our long nightdresses tripped us up, making it difficult to stay ahead of them. “Where can we go?” I asked, holding my fingers against a cramp in my side.
 
"It doesn’t matter. Just keep moving.” There was hardness in my mother’s voice. It made me feel determined to outrun our pursuers.
 
The forest floor began to slope upwards, and we had to slow our pace. It didn’t make sense to me. Why would the outlaws target us? My father was not the richest lord in this area. He was too honest to take advantage of the people in his care. As soon as he had discovered that the castle had been breached, he’d pulled my mother and me from our beds and raced with us to the edge of the forest. Then he’d left us, promising that he would catch up when the danger was past.
 
If the men who attacked were as skilled as my father had thought them to be, it would be only a matter of time before they found two women in the forest. They were killers, bred only to feast on the pain and terror of those they hunted.
 
“Keep going,” my mother urged me. “We have to find someplace to hide.”
 
We kept climbing. The night was becoming colder, and soon we were both shivering in our flimsy nightdresses. We came to a stop beside a fallen tree, resting our weary legs. My body ached. The voices came again, closer this time. I felt my mother’s hand grasp mine in the darkness.
 
We’re near the top, Evanthe.” Something changed in her voice as she spoke to me. I knew I wasn’t going to like what she had to say. “Keep going until you reach the peak of the hill. Find a hiding place and do not let them see you.”
 
“No,” I protested. “We’re going together.”
 
Her fingers brushed the side of my face. “We can’t outrun them. You go ahead. I will go back to your father and keep them away from you.”
 
I shook my head. “I can’t do this by myself.”
 
“Yes, you can.” She leaned over and kissed my forehead. “I love you.”
 
She stood up before I could say anything more. I clung to her hand, but she pulled away. Tears filled my eyes and I blinked rapidly.
 
“I love you, too,” I whispered.
 
“Go now, Evanthe. While you have a chance. Run!” I heard her begin the descent down the side of the mountain. I didn’t want her to leave.
 
Fear gripping my heart, I forced my body to turn away. I had to keep going. I couldn’t let this opportunity be wasted. I prayed for both of my parents, hoping for their safe return to me. I could feel torn holes in my nightdress, and the night air licked my damp skin like an icy kiss. I was trembling, a chill settling into my bones, but still I kept moving. The voices grew fainter and fainter behind me, and I didn’t stop climbing until exhaustion overtook me.
 
The air had changed. It smelled different, perhaps because I was higher up now. A sudden snap of a branch to my left made my heart leap in my chest. I could feel a shrub next to my body and went on all fours, feeling along the ground. I pushed the branches aside, a few of them hitting my eyes and wrapping in my lengthy blonde hair before I finally found a way underneath. I kept my back to the tree that was growing right next to the bush, so that no one could attack me from behind. For once I was grateful of my small stature.
 
I heard more footsteps, but the darkness was so thick that I couldn’t see anything. I was terrified, suspended in the unknown. Something – or someone – was very close. The branches moved, and I felt a warm breath against my arm. My head snapped to the right where a pair of red, fiery eyes glowed in the shadows. Then darkness overtook me completely.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment