Monday, December 23, 2013

Author Interview with Laura Carlson of American Editing Services


 
Me: Where did you get the idea for your book?

Laura: I always wanted to write about vampires. I know that sounds ridiculous, but some of my earliest childhood memories consist of playing with a Dracula figurine and a Snow White doll. I made up all sorts of dark tales that involved haunted castles, ghosts, mummies, and a handsome vampire. The desire to tell a story that involved similar characters never really left. This particular idea, however, came to me when I was in college.

 
Me: Who are your favorite characters in your book and why?

Laura: I think Oliver is my favorite, mostly because he’s so uncouth. He’s also based on a good friend of mine who can make me laugh nonstop.

 
Me: What themes does your book present?

Laura: Oh boy, as soon as I saw the word “themes” I began to squirm! J I actually never really factored in themes (in the true literary sense) for this book, mostly because it’s for casual consumption. But, I will say that when I wrote the book I wanted to address the idea of not fitting in. It happens to all of us at one time or another, and I thought it was really important to write a lead character who was strong in spite of the fact that she can’t seem to fit in.

 
Me: How many books do you have in this series?

Laura: I have at least four more planned, but who knows? I’m really having fun writing about this world and these characters, so I don’t know when I’ll eventually wrap up the series. I do, however, have the last book outlined, so there is an ending.

 
Me: What made you choose to write fantasy?

Laura: I think I’ve always been drawn to the genre. I’m a paranormal romance girl at heart.

 
Me: What authors influence your writing?

Laura: Hard question! Way, way too many to count. Katie MacAlister, Meg Cabbot, Maggie Stievater, Janet Evanovich, Ann Brashares—and the list goes on!

 
Me: Why do you think fantasy books are so popular?

Laura: Hmmm, that’s a really hard question to answer. I can only speak for myself, but I’d say it’s because it allows us to believe that there might be something more than what we consider “reality.” It takes something mysterious and unknown and allows us to imagine what it might be like to live in that world. I read once that, when imagining a place, experience, etc., the brain activates the same areas it would if you were actually encountering those places, experiences, and so on. Essentially, your mind can’t tell the difference between the two.

 
Me: How many books have you written?

Laura: I’ve published two books, I’m sitting on another two manuscripts that may or may not see the light of day, and I’m working on the third installment in The Unearthly series as we speak.

 
Me: Where do you see the fantasy book market 10 years from now?

Laura: I see the genre expanding quite a bit as more and more indie authors publish their books. Those readers who’ve been dying to read a good book on something obscure will probably have a better selection in ten years than they do now.

 
Me: What makes your book different from other fantasy books?

Laura: Gosh this is a tough question, mostly because when I think of fantasy, I think of everything from high fantasy to urban fantasy, and between that broad spectrum, my book probably falls comfortably in the middle. I will say this—my book deals with a world where pretty much all types of supernaturals exist. Fairies, werewolves, vampires, witches, psychics, and so on. I think that distinguishes from a fair amount of YA fantasy books that only deal with one or a few types of otherworldly beings.
 
 

 

 

Excerpt from The Unearthly

 

          
 
           I was in a burning house.
The oppressive heat evaporated the tears that ran down my cheeks, but my tiny hand still tried to swipe them away.
It was the sight of my small hand that made me lucid.
Not this again. Knowing it was a dream didn’t stop the events from unfolding as they always had.
Smoke choked my lungs and obscured my vision. Which room was I in? I never could remember, no matter how many times the events played out.
Out of the smoke came a figure.
“Dad!” I yelled, my voice sweet and high-pitched.
He scooped me up as the wooden beams above us shuddered, and he led us through the smoky corridors. I watched from over my father’s shoulder as fire ate up my house.
I blinked and a man stood amidst the flames.
My skin chilled despite the heat. Not him.
I gripped the expensive cloth of my father’s suit and twisted it beneath my fingers.
The fire stung my eyes and I blinked. When I opened them again, the man was gone.
At some point my father stopped. The fire was not so bad here.
Another figure appeared out of the haze. Cecilia. I was passed over to her, out of my dad’s arms.
“Dad?” I was scared again.
I hated this part.
He kissed me on the top of my head. “I love you angel.” He turned away, disappearing into the smoke.
“Don’t leave me!” I cried. But he was gone.
Cecilia led us through the house. I recognized my room along the way; my favorite teddy bear was lying on the floor, burning up before my eyes.
Cecilia carried me to our pantry. Barely glancing at the dried goods, she unlatched a trap door set into the floor. She dropped me down into the musty space before climbing down herself. I glanced back up through the trap door, wondering where my dad was.
She took my hand and led me through the darkness. 

 
 
 
 

Contact the Author
 
Laura Carlson, Editor
American Editing Services
Tel: +1.415.745.1764
Twitter: @AmericanEditing
 
Where to Buy The Unearthly
 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful interview Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific interview! Thanks so much Grace, for introducing me to Laura Carlson!

    ReplyDelete